Wednesday, April 11, 2012

Ugly Duckling Pyrex.

I know there are patterns people tend to not really care for in the Pyrex hunt. Being new to collecting and high on Pyrex, I disagree completely. I have yet to see a Pyrex pattern that I wouldn't snatch up in a thrift store if it was in good condition and reasonably priced. Some of the less popular patterns like Forest Fancies and Old Orchard? I kind of adore. They scream 70s to me, and I can just imagine a housewife lovingly whipping up a homemade cake mix in the bowls and baking casseroles on holidays.

There is a Goodwill up the road from me that I frequent at least once a week. I almost always strike out, but since it's so near, I have a hard time staying away from it. On Monday, I dragged my babies out the door and hit the road for Goodwill. When I arrived, it was a mad house. You can imagine my surprise when I realized there were several lovely pieces that hadn't been sold yet despite the huge crowd.



This set of super minty bowls in the Forest Fancies pattern was just $6.00. SIX! For all three. There is no way I could pass that up after seeing so many jacked up prices at thrift stores lately.

I also found a lone Wheat bowl. It's not in great condition, but it's still pretty and shiny. I didn't own any of these pieces yet, so I had to get it for just $1.00. Not bad, right?



The pie dish is actually Corningware. I don't know anything about it...whether it's old or new. But it's a super heavy milk glass, and I thought it was too pretty to pass up for just $2.00.

Are there any patterns you pass up because of ugliness? What if you find one with a super good price in great quality? It might just be the newbie in me, but I can't say no to Pyrex. Perhaps I should seek out help? No. No, I think I'll just keep hunting Pyrex. It's more fun that way.


XO,

Sally @ Exploits of a Military Mama

11 comments:

  1. There are several patterns that I do pass up for myself not because of ugliness but because I have gotten to the point to where I can only collect certain patterns/colors due to storage space. But since I tend to lean more toward the more vintage-y colors like pink and turquoise and my sister loves the Forest Fancies & Butterfly Gold, I always have an excuse to buy:-) Love your blog too, by the way.

    Erica
    Thrifter Sisters

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really like forest fancies too! :) I LOVE my wheat pyrex too. I think that the ones I would pass up would be...hmmm gosh, they are too hard to say no to any of them!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have a set of Forest Fancies that I like, but I don't think I would buy any more. Now Wheat is a totally different story. My family grows wheat, and I LOVE the pattern. I snatch up any piece I can find in that! There is nothing too ugly that I wouldn't want at least one little piece of! ;)

    Shane, momma of twin boys and collector of Pyrex

    ReplyDelete
  4. there is no ugly pyrex! i only pass up beautiful pyrex that is too worn out. i guess that means it lived a good life. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I can't pass on any of it either! I love the Forest Fancies and I just yesterday got my first wheat pattern too...though I didn't get your great price. I paid $6 in an antique store because I was so excited to see it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have a few cinderella type bowls but lately when I see them, I leave them on the shelf, they just take up too much space! I used to not like Old Orchard but I don't mind it so much anymore....

    ReplyDelete
  7. Here's my real answer. Early American casseroles. They aren't the prettiest to me, but that's not why I would pass them up. I already have quite a few, but if I saw the mixing bowls or fridgies I would buy them. My mom thinks they are ugly.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't have any of the casseroles. I don't LOVE them, but I think I would probably grab a couple anyway.

      Delete
  8. In the beginning I wasn't too crazy about the Forest Fancies pyrex either but it kinda grows on you so I now have the set of three bowls like yours. I also have the Woodland set of bowls and find that the two sets go well together!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooh, I just got some woodland bowls, too! I love how they look together :)

      Delete
  9. i love pyrex! i came across a gooseberry bowl today in a thrift store. i couldn't resist buying it but the design is all faded, like it had been scrubbed off(?). it's really weird. might anyone know how such a thing could happen? otherwise the bowl looks hardly used.

    ReplyDelete