Thursday, July 12, 2012

A New Collector Learns a Valuable Lesson

Hi there! I'm Susie. I'm new to this whole Pyrex collecting thing. I have to admit, it's an exciting hobby. The highs, the lows! Well, today I experienced my first low as a collector. Warning: not for the faint of heart.


Last week, on the eve of (American) Independence Day, I came across a 441 Early American mixing bowl at the thrift store. Thinking the timing was just kismet, I went ahead and ordered the other three bowls for the set online for an absolute steal. The warm and gooey feeling was diminished today, however. A knock on the door and an unenthusiastic mail carrier greeted me with a box carrying this:


Ignore the hideous apartment carpeting...


...and the hideous apartment tile...


just look at the gore!


I guess I'm not scared off by ordering Pyrex online, but I think in the future I will be inclined to come across it the old fashioned way: scouring thrift store racks and yard sales in desperate need of another fix!


I just started blogging my vintage finds over at Hourglass Vintage



14 comments:

  1. Haha. It's ok. My heart is on the mend.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What are the sizes that you need? I have a couple of extra ones that I would like to send you, if they are the ones you need.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I only have the 441 so far. I need 442, 443, 444.

      Delete
    2. I checked the ones that I have 401 and 402. The are white with the brown markings. Let me know if you are interested.

      Delete
  3. So sad. :-( Just get insurance on the shipping next time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The seller has been wonderful in refunding my money, so I don't hold it against her at all.

      Delete
  4. Egads! That hurts to look at! I've never ordered any Pyrex online & I honestly don't plan on it--for this very reason! I don't think my heart could take it. :(

    ReplyDelete
  5. that is SO horrifying! you must be a super positive person to not be completely scarred by that. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. For buyers that this has happened to, I have seen some of you post some shoddy wrapped Pyrex, but this looked pretty well packaged... was it Susie?

    Whenever I ship glass, I wrap it tightly with bubble wrap, tape it closed, so it's tight, tight, tight & then pack the rest of the box with bubble wrap & newspaper. Never had no breakage that way.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It had a lot of packaging, but it was also pretty "loose" in the box. I think the key is to really pack the items in there, because if they're moving around in the box too much, no manner of padding will keep it from breaking :-/

      Delete
  7. Heartbreaking! I personally try to order online only the pieces that I have never seen while out thrifting (i.e. blue Americana mixing bowls, Delphite) so getting a shattered one would kill me. Glad you at least had a good experience with the seller!

    ReplyDelete