Saturday, January 26, 2013

Fridge Dish Frenzy

I have a confession. (I feel safe revealing it here...) I think I have a slight obsession with fridge dishes. I thought I'd be okay once I got the full Butterfly Gold set.


But it turns out that was just the beginning!
 
I found a few Butterprint fridgies soon after, plus a pink 503 (you can see those here, and here if you missed my previous posts.) Next, I saw a lovely green 503 at an antique store. I didn't want to spend the $20 on it, but after a week, decided to pay the shop a visit again (just to at least look at it again... maybe it was on sale?!) 

It had been sold, sadly. This orange one though, without a lid, was up for grabs at another vendor! More than I wanted to pay... but it was definitely less than $20, so I left smiling.

 
And that same week at a thrift store, I found an orange 502, also without a lid. 
Be still my heart. 


As if that wasn't enough excitement... I also found the greens soon after. 


The smaller one came with a lid. The green one didn't (lid is borrowed for the photo) but I had to laugh. This is the same one I passed up at the antique store. It must have followed me home for only $2. There are quite a few scratches on it, and the smaller one looks like it's been through the dishwasher -- the color is very dull, but for that price, who can argue?

I swore I was done. But this week, I ran into another thrift store and spied this primary yellow 503 on the shelf, with the lid for only $3.50. I saw another lady near the shelf and I thought about tackling her for the Pyrex, but luckily she was interested in something else. 


Tonight, I made a South African Fridge Milk Tart. Of course the fridge dishes were perfect for the task. I posted the recipe (and more Pyrex eye-candy!) here, on Typing Sunflowers.


The little yellow hostess dish? Spied and acquired at a thrift store. I'm keeping my eye out for the remainder of the set... it must be out there somewhere. 


I think it's safe to say, I have enough fridge dishes... for now.

May your fridge finds be just as fabulous! 

10 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Thanks! (I'm justifying the storage space issue because half of them are in the fridge now!)

      Delete
  2. Wow, you have some great pieces. This past summer I was in an antique store in Regina, Canada and I came across a beautiful pink fridge 503 casserole dish. It was $30 but I have never seen one in such good shape complete with lid so I bought it and it looks great in my kitchen! I do prefer however to buy Pyrex at the thrift stores but somethimes you have to splurge:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well of course we have to splurge occasionally ;) I justify the splurges every now and again since I'm 'saving' so much by thrifting! Ha...

      Delete
  3. Fridgies really are addicting. When I'm thrifting I also think every person in the place is Pyrex hunting like me, and I'm always on the lookout for someone to snatch the pieces up before me. Thankfully, not everyone is as crazy as we are about Pyrex! Lovely little collection :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are totally addicting. I love them because they're so versatile... and so easy to stack!

      Delete
  4. I don't think you can ever have too many fridgies!! I haven't found one in ages.....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was just drooling over your pink set on your blog. Oh my. LOVE.

      Delete
  5. I'm with Jill, I think you can't have too many fridgies! They are so useful and I love mine. They are becoming more rare, but I've recently found Butterprint 502 and 503 with lids at Value Village.
    You really have found a nice selection!
    :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I passed up a Butterprint 503 ages ago, before I really knew what it was. I remember thinking, 'oh that's cute, but I'm not paying that price...' I have managed to find 501s and a 502 within my budget, but not the 503 yet.

      Delete